Tuesday, June 10, 2008

{MONDAY'S MENU} Tammra's Spagetti

Alright so I have a problem! If you only knew how busy I was yesterday! :) I know excuses, excuses, I will get better at this! I am sure!

So this week comes from my mom's kitchen to mine to yours. Seriously, my mom is by far the best cook. I don't know what it is, she can make anything and it always tastes amazing! There are so many things that she makes that all of her children have dubbed as COMFORT FOOD! One of my all time favorites and definitely something I crave often.....

TAMMRA'S SPAGHETTI

INGREDIENTS:Whole wheat/grain spaghetti noodles
Spaghetti Seasoning Packet(s). I don't remember the brand, but it is "Thick and Zesty". Look for a brand that has that.
Tomato Paste
Tomato Sauce
Sliced Olives (YES olives!)
Green Pepper
Mushrooms
Yellow Onion
Ground Turkey or Beef
Anything else you can think of!
(Seriously, just add whatever you think sounds good. Mushrooms & Olives are ALWAYS a must for me)

DIRECTIONS:
1.
Cook Noodles according to package directions. I usually add chicken bouillon and salt to the water when boiling. This is your chance to season the noodles themselves! It makes a difference!
2. I didn't include any amounts above. That is because it is really up to you. If you would like to make just a small amount of sauce for one meal, use one 4 oz can tomato paste, one-two 8 oz cans tomato sauce and one seasoning packet and eyeball the other ingredients. *However, when I am cooking this, I do it in a huge pot and do about 5 or 6 times that much and freeze the left overs in a few little glad ware containers for later dinners. Then when you want it, just pull it out of the freezer, thaw a little bit, and pop it into a saucepan and warm, covered, on medium low until it is done. PHEW...let's get back to making this shall we.....
3. Chop your onions and peppers, slice your mushrooms and throw them all into a pan and saute. If you are using meat, which I sometimes do and sometimes don't, brown it up with the veggies. Drain, when done.
4. Empty your tomato paste into a separate pot. Then stir in the seasoning packet. WHISK in your tomato sauce until smooth. Try to remove all lumps!
5. When smooth stir in all of your veggies, meat and undrained can of sliced olives. Cover and heat over medium until heated through. Stir frequently. Serve and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
6. Serve with Sprite, Garlic bread (Albertson's now has a whole wheat french bread YUMMY!), and green salad. Don't you even think about skipping any one of these items. They are all NECESSARY for the entire experience! I MEAN IT! DON'T SKIP!!
*By the way, this is a spicy sauce. Not over the top, but it does have a bit of a zing, which I think is what makes it SO good! If you want to take the edge off, double the paste, sauce & seasoning packets and use one "Thick and Zesty" and one original of the same brand.
Is this confusing...Gosh I hope not! Let me know if you need direction! :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Brenda B said...

Yummy yum yum!!! The recipes you have on your blog make me drool! This is one that I know my kids would eat too.

LinkWithin