Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bumpin Into Greats


I have to be honest, I have been surprised by just how much I love living in Utah again. I think moving back to a smaller town where you grew up, especially after living away and having experiences that change so much about who you are, can feel a bit like stepping backwards. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by how comfortable and home-y it feels here. There are a million benefits to moving back to the place you grew up. Especially if that place holds every.single.member. of. your. family. There is a LOT of family around here...and I love that!

For example....

The other day Mal, Jake & I were walking through Walmart and guess who we ran into......
Great Grandma (my Grandma) Atkinson, in all of her cute littleness. 

And Great Grandpa (my Grandpa) Atkinson! So fun for the kids! 

Moving back here gave my kids an opportunity to develop close relationships with family. One that really makes my heart sing is the relationship my kids have developed with Grandma & Grandpa. 

My Mom was 16 when she got married. She had my brother at 17 and me at 19. Really young. One of the unique opportunities that we have had because of this is a very very close relationship and lots of fun memories with my grandparents. My grandpa was in his early 30s when he became a grandpa. We have so many fun memories with him! 

I always tease that I am the favorite grandchild (which I totally am!) However, I have recently been kicked off my throne by my little girl, where Grandpa is concerned. She totally puts a light in his eye! I love that! He always carries butterscotch candies in his pocket to give her when he sees her. It is a thing they share. I love that so much! I remember eating certs mints...and probably halls cough drops, out of my grandpas suit coat and pockets all the time when I was little! Fun memories! I love to watch my kids experience some of highlights from my childhood! Such a great thing! 

3 comments:

Brian and Kayla said...

You do not have every.single.member.of.your.family.living.in.Utah.
You little punk :O).

MyR said...

I love this!!! I can totally relate! It was so fun awhile back to run into my Grandpa in Kmart and then know that we had to search the parking lot for Grandma waiting for him in the car. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kids getting to make memories of the exact things I love about my childhood. :D

Gear Gang said...

Your camera takes AWESOME pic!

LinkWithin