Tuesday, October 12, 2010

2 Hours Up, 20 Minutes Down....nothing like motivation to put a skip in your step!

This summer we decided to hike up to Bakers Lake. Ryan and Jake had hiked it before and they LOVED it! They have told me how beautiful it is so many times! I wanted to see it for myself!


Only problem...I was a little ambitious when I saw the weather was supposed to be 80 degrees! I put shorts on the kids and I and we set out.

Silly me! Just because it says 80 in the Valley, that doesn't necessarily mean 80 in the way up high mountains! OUCH! It was A LOT colder than that....with snow! We were a little early in the summer for the hike, I think!


The hike is 2.5 miles and absolutely beautiful! Mallory hiked almost the entire thing on her own, with her fishing pole over her shoulder, mind you!

And then there was this! This was when I revealed the true strength of myself to my Brother in Law, Logan. He came along for the hike with us. I WAS A W.I.M.P. wimp!

In my defense, I was sinking to my hips in hard crusty snow...in shorts....with a sunburn on my legs! It HURT! BAD! And I am a wimp!


It was worth it! The lake was beautiful! Ryan and Logan got a rip roarin fire going and we decided to relax for a while.


Mallory busted out her fishing pole. I could watch her cast all day! She puts her whole body into it! One of these days I am afraid she will literally put her body into it and end up going for a swim!


Most of the lake was still frozen, but Ry and Mal fished anyways. We were just getting all cozy. Wet shoes and socks off and trying to dry by the fire, when THIS rolled in!


It doesn't look as mean as it actually was...man was it mean! It got to our nerves. We packed up as quick as we could and practically started running down. When you are this high in the mountains, a lightning and heavy storm is the last thing you want to be stuck in!



I always tease Ryan about being over prepared. I ate my words on this trip! Right about the time he pulls ponchos from his backpack! Thank goodness for the over prepared, I say! :)



Lightning was too close for comfort and the thunder was cracking. That coupled with the rain...we were all a bit unnerved. Freaked out, if you will.


Jake and I spent the last 10 min of our hike down talking about the first 10 min. The storm was a bit scary. We said a prayer that it would stop until we could get off the mountain. Just a few short minutes later, it stopped. We talked about how great it is to pray for something and then see that prayer answered shortly after!

I would love to do this hike again next year! However, I am thinking later in the summer....say August. That may be enough time to ensure a snow-less hike! :)


3 comments:

Lombardo Family said...

How fun! My kiddos do not like to hike. We've only taken them on a few, but somehow I have to help them learn to love because Aaron and I LOVE it! What a gorgeous hike this is.

Lombardo Family said...

How fun! My kiddos do not like to hike. We've only taken them on a few, but somehow I have to help them learn to love because Aaron and I LOVE it! What a gorgeous hike this is.

Lombardo Family said...

How fun! My kiddos do not like to hike. We've only taken them on a few, but somehow I have to help them learn to love because Aaron and I LOVE it! What a gorgeous hike this is.

LinkWithin