Hey you guys! Just checking in....
Dawson has pneumonia, which you all know. They also found that he still has adeno virus. This is a month old. UGH! I hope he can kick that soon. Poor bubba! He also had Strep bacteria growing in his blood. They are giving him antibiotics for that. The cultures are coming back negative, so that is a good sign.
I may have mentioned before that we are thinking about surgery for a permanent IV. It is called a portacath and it is going in this morning. It is a sort of catherter that will be placed in his Superior Vena Cava. The port, or access for the catherter will be just under his skin. Most likely in his chest. This will help give him the meds & nutrition he needs. It will also help us get the blood draws easier. Our biggest concern is that everytime we have put a foreign object in his body, his body works very hard to reject it. His shunt was infected several times and needed 26 revisions. His g-tube (feeding tube) caused a skin break down around the site. His body could try to reject this and cause a blood infection that would be close to his heart. However, if we lose IV access, which is completely possible right now, we will be in for other options that could be more harmful/painful for Dawson.
Last night I felt quite uneasy about the surgery. However, this morning I have talked to my friend that is an ER doc here and to Dawson's doctor. This morning I am grateful for the people the Lord has placed in my life, so that in moments where the decisions are overwhelming and too heavy to bear alone I am able to receive peace and comfort through their advise. I am pretty sure I told Dr. Scott that I loved her about 10 times this morning. She knows it already. We have a great relationship. I knew that if I could just tell her my concerns she would help me know what I needed. It was an answer to prayer. My doubt is gone. Peace is in it's place!
Sometimes the burden of having to make choices for Dawson's life is the heaviest to bear. Most times the decision is to do something that will either make his life 100% better or 100% worse. We don't know what the outcome will be, but there must be action. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have prayer in moments like these. By acting in faith I have a partnership with the Lord. He knows Dawson best. He knows what he needs and what he doesn't. He ALWAYS answers my call. I am grateful for His love for my sweet Dawson and for His help in my life. I would completely be unable to do this without Him.
I will keep you posted on the outcome of the surgery. Say a little prayer for my little man, if you can. And as always THANK YOU for your thoughts and prayers!