Friday, August 12, 2005

They're doing better every day!

First of all--thank you so much for all of your love, prayers, and support--I'm certain it's making the difference. It's great to hear from everybody in the comments! Of course we know everybody is pulling for the babies, but it's good hear from you. Kind of interesting how it all happened, and I won't write it all now, but Amy and the babies just about ended up in Boise--which would have been difficult. I left for Utah Monday, August 1st for my Grandpa Lindstroms funeral, and recieved a call from Amy as I was getting off of the freeway, saying that she was headed to the hospital in pre-term labor. I thought about turning around, but I figured it would be best to wait and see how the whole thing developed(like the possibility of her being flown to Utah). Well, she called a few hours later and said they were going to fly her to Boise, but she asked if she could be flown to Utah instead. I guess they don't usually like to take people to Utah from Twin Falls, with Boise being so close, but Amy twisted some arms until they called Utah and persuaded them to come and get her. The only reason they let her come to Utah, was becuase I was already here. Funny how that worked out isn't it? Amy and I both know that my Grandpa Lindstrom saved our babies. I can't imagine how difficult this would be if we were in Boise right now. We definitely needed to be in Utah; most of our family and friends are down here, as well as the best help available for the babies. Anyway...

Things have been going great lately! Both babies continue to do better and better as time goes on. Amy is always getting the status updates from the nurses, so I'll have to get her on here to give the details, but the doctors and nurses were all really surprised at how well Dawson has been doing the last day or so(we haven't been--wink wink). He's had a problem with his stomach getting big(see--that's about at technical as I get), so they've been taking x-rays every day to monitor it. Well yesterday they decided they didn't need to keep checking it every day, because they can't find any trace of trouble any more!

Amy showed up just in time last night to help change diapers and bedding and stuff. They let the Moms and Dads help out in as much stuff as possible. Mallory and Dawson both immediately start doing better whenever Amy shows up and starts talking to them, so she plans on spending as much time there as possible once she can get around a little better. Right now I drop her off for a few hours, and then come back and pick her up, because of the sibling visiting rules. Siblings under 12 can only visit 2 times a week, for 15 minutes each visit. That means one of us gets to hang out with Jake, while the other hangs out with Mallory and Dawson. Jake and I stopped by to see uncle Gordon at the bowling alley last night, but he wasn't there, so we played pool and video games for a while. Jake is doing great. He's excited to start Kindergarten in a few weeks, and he keeps asking me for pictures of the babies to put in his wallet that Grandpa Atkinson gave him(which is my next task after this). He sure loves his little brother and sister. I got a picture or two of Jake with the babies, which I'll put up soon.

Both babies have lost weight, which is good, and they've started to wean Mallory off of the ventilator. We get so many details from the nurses that I'm sure I'd get them all mixed up, so I'll make it a point to get Amy on here TODAY to give a little better summary of how things are going.

Well, gotta go drop Amy off to see the babies, so we'll catch you later.

Thanks all,

No comments: